If you’re wanting to grow your business beyond yourself to be more scalable – at some point it will be time to hire help.
This is such an exciting AND scary time. The ideal of letting someone else come into your business you’ve built can feel intimidating and risky.
Just know outsourcing an essential part of graduating from solopreneur status – to becoming the true CEO of your online business.
In this episode of the Create Your Destiny podcast I’m sharing my perspective on How to Start Outsourcing for Your Online Business. I’ll be letting you in behind the scenes of my personal experience with hiring help – starting with a simple VA and then having our first official employees.
I’ll also take you through the 5 Steps I would suggest taking if you’re brand new to outsourcing. This will help you figure out: What tasks to actually outsource according to your own genius zone, where to find these people online, and what to expect with onboarding.
This episode also flows perfectly with the NEXT episode coming to the podcast – an interview with my friend Kira La Forgia where we discuss the difference between Contractors vs. Employees and a lot more of the official and legal side of having a team and handling Human Resources for your business. Keep an eye out for that episode coming soon since they pair perfectly together!
5 STEPS TO OUTSOURCING
Step 1: BRAIN DUMP:
- Make a master list of everything you DO in your business now (including the thing you may be avoiding)
- Every step of the process for your services, in your marketing, and overall running your business
Step 2: EVALUATE:
- What things are that list do you avoid, hate doing, or aren’t good at?
- What things do you not mind doing (or maybe even kind of like) that are more busy work type of tasks? They don’t necessarily use your genius zone.
- Create a new list with only these tasks on them – these are the things you will start to outsource first!
Step 3: CREATE ROLES:
- Looking at the tasks you have on this new outsource list – are there certain kinds of tasks that could go together?
- Remember, you get to create your own unique roles and responsibilities here! You don’t have to follow traditional job descriptions or titles
- Decide whether this will be a contractor or actual employee (Stay tuned for NEXT WEEK’s episode for all the details on this topic!)
Step 4: FIND YOUR PEOPLE:
- Where you go looking for help will depend on the type of role you’re looking to fill.
- Ways I’ve personally found team members and contract help:
- Personal connections (and past clients!)
- Facebook Groups
- Social Media
- Other resources for hiring help
Step 5: ONBOARDING + TRAINING:
- The amount of onboarding will depend on whether or not you hired a contractor or employee- and how integrated they are going to be in your business (on-going vs. 1-off help)
- If you went the employee route there are some legal steps involved here (refer to Kira in next week’s episode for all the details!)
- Patience is key and remember this will typically take MORE of your time at first!
- I prefer to share passwords using the browser extensions Lastpass vs. sharing my actual account passwords with everyone
- Loom is awesome for sharing how-tos and feedback
Learn more about me & the biz: https://girlbossdesigner.com
Connect on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/girlbossdesigner/
Want to stay in the loop for all future Create Your Destiny Podcast episodes?!
CLICK HERE to subscribe on Apple Podcasts!